This was for a plane restore that I discuss in an earlier blog post, which can be found here. I actually bought a bowl turning blank that if I recall correctly was a 6″x6″x2″ piece of Brazilian Cherry. The purpose of using a big piece like that was so I could get both the tote and knob from the same piece of wood. I cut a 2″x2″x6″ piece with my band saw. Had I done this today, I would have cut that piece in half for another turning project. But I still was real confident about getting the sizing right so I used the hole piece. The finish on this is boiled linseed oil and several coats of shellac. I was MUCH happier with the finish on this piece then I was on the last one.
About this time last year my Dad gave me vintage Delta lathe, that I have figured out to be the Delta Double Duty 955. It came with a lot of worn out turning tool, all of which were too small to be practical. I still have them, but they do not get used much. So that I could start the process of learning how to turn, and learning how to sharpen turning tools properly, I went against my rule of not buying cheap tools and bought a very cheap set from Harbor Freight. I still take much flak for this today. 🙂 The sad thing is, they work better than even I thought they would, and I am still using them today!
After turning several pieces of wood into saw dust, I decided I would try something small, but potentially practical. I had just completed the purchase of my chisels and decided I could use a good chisel/carving mallet. I wasn’t really ready yet to try spinning a big piece of wood, so I made a small one. A very small one. 🙂 So in reality it is too small to be practical, but someday I may have a use for it. It was turned from a 1.5″ x 1.5″ x 12″ piece of maple turning stock. It was my first attempt at finishing on the lathe, and I had not yet found the joy of using boiled linseed oil with shellac. I ended up staining and putting a poly finish on it. The finish ended up burning on the piece. If any thing, it made a neat effect. 🙂